It’s that wonderful time of year. Prom season is upon us! MORE HEALTH is thrilled to partner, once again, with the Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office, Hillsborough County Anti Drug Alliance, Tampa General Hospital, and the Allstate Foundation to raise prom safety awareness in the Tampa Bay area. Please discuss with your family the following safety recommendations to ensure a safe, fun evening for your children.
Safety tips for parents:
- Have a conversation with your son or daughter and share with them your expectations.
- Let them know that they can call you at any time if they feel unsafe or are experiencing peer pressure to make bad choices.
- Know what your child’s plans are before, during and after the prom. Consider teaming up with other parents to host an alcohol-free after party.
- Establish regular check-in times and keep your cell phone nearby in case your child becomes involved a situation and needs to call you for advice or help.
Safety tips for students:
- We recommend going with friends, and be sure to select a safe and responsible driver.
- You might also consider a car or ride share service as another transportation option.
- Alcohol is never acceptable for prom or at any time for persons under the age of 21. Drugs are simply an absolute bad idea, not to mention they are illegal. Alcohol and drugs impair your judgment and may result in you or someone else being harmed.