No matter what you celebrate this holiday season, it will most likely be full of family, festivity, and food….lots of food. Weeks of temptations, parties, and travel can easily upend our daily routines. During a season of splurging, how can we stick to a healthy eating plan? Here are tips that can help us all stay on track.
Holiday Proof You Plans
- Try to eat as close to your usual times as possible. If your meal will be served later than normal, eat a small snack and a little less at the later mealtime.
- Eat before you go. Skipping meals in an effort to save calories will only make you hungrier and more likely to overeat.
- Offer to bring an appetizer, side dish, or dessert. The host will not only appreciate this, but it gives you control over the ingredients.
Outsmart the Buffett
- Use smaller plates and don’t mingle by the display of food. Portion control can be your best friend.
- Start with fruits and vegetables and wait 10-20 minutes for your brain to register if you are still hungry or not.
Fit in Favorites
- It’s ok to cheat a little. Be sure to savor those favorite sweet treats you may only get once a year. Slow down and keep the serving sizes small.
- Avoid or limit alcohol consumption and drink plenty of water.
- Staying active during the holidays will help offset the additional calories most people put on during this time of year.
- Physical exercise is a great way to reduce the stress that is common during the holidays.
Be Kind to Yourself
- Be Merry! Focus on socializing instead of food.
- Stick to your normal sleep schedule.
- Take some quiet time for yourself and fit in some “me” time every day.
- Give yourself a break from the guilt of indulging a little during the season.
Thank You to our Partners!