The holiday season can bring children into contact with many potential hazards. Keep children safe by understanding this important information from our friends at the Florida Poison Information Center!

  • Mistletoe: Swallowing the berries can cause vomiting, diarrhea, high blood pressure, and convulsions.
  • Poinsettia: This plant is not very toxic, but the sap can cause skin irritation.
  • Snow Globes: The “snow” is non-toxic, however the liquid could be water or chemicals that are extremely toxic.
  • Tinsel: These shiny icicles cause airway or intestinal blockage if eaten by children or pets.
  • Holly Leaves & Berries: Swallowing many leaves and crushed pits are poisonous. Eating just a few berries can cause vomiting, cramps, and diarrhea.
  • Batteries: Small batteries can cause blockages if lodged in the ear, nose, throat, stomach, or intestines. Acid burns can occur if batteries open inside the body.
  • Holiday Trees: Evergreens are non-toxic except for the Yew. The leaves and seed pits are toxic.
  • Holiday Tree Ornaments: Antique or imported ornaments may have lead-based paint, which could be hazardous if ingested.
  • Bubble Lights: These lights contain a poisonous liquid that can be dangerous if the fluid from several lights is swallowed.
  • Angel Hair: This tree decoration can cause irritation to skin, eyes, and throat. When handling, wear gloves and avoid contact with eyes to avoid injuries.
  • Choking Hazards: Hot dogs, grapes, nuts, hard candy, coins, marshmallows, marbles, small balls, popcorn, chewing gum, toys with small parts, button batteries, latex balloons.
  • Medications: Make sure visitors put their medications in a locked area where children cannot get them.

Call 1-800-222-1222 for Poison Help!