The holidays are upon us and we all want to enjoy the season. Take care, though, to practice habits that will keep health at the forefront of celebrations!
- If you have not done so already, get the flu vaccine. Along with vaccination, remember that hand washing is the best way to prevent illness.
- Continue to exercise and remain active over the holidays. Perhaps explore ways to incorporate fun activities with family members. Enjoy a walk, hike, game of catch, etc.
- Limit alcohol consumption and drink only in moderation. Festive beverages often contain a heavy dose of sugar! Also remember to stay well-hydrated. Water is your friend. As always, if you choose to drink, appoint a designated driver or obtain transportation service.
- Stock the pantry and refrigerator with healthy options like fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and lean protein. Think about prepping healthy meals in advance during this busy season.
- Do enjoy festivities, but focus on enjoying only your favorite dishes and treats in small quantities. Balance these holiday favorites with broth-based soups or leafy greens. Do not let “party” food turn into breakfast or ongoing snacks and meals.